Friday, May 6, 2011

Counting Sheep


In my new position as President I never know where the day will take me. This morning I was working on an exhibition for the summer of 2012 on the subject of American Impressionism when I was called away to The Farmers' Museum (our sister institution of which I am also President) to watch young oxen being trained. On my way to the farmyard I noticed a co-worker hovering near the sheep's pen.


When I walked over to see what she was looking at, I saw a sheep with her brand new baby lamb. Naturally, I took out my iPhone and snapped the first picture of this new addition to the museum staff. Within the hour a second lamb was born, much to the delight of the families that happened to be nearby.


Any time something like this happens I am reminded of the original vision of the two museums here in Cooperstown -- The Farmers' Museum and the Fenimore Art Museum -- and how much they were always meant to complement each other. Folk art and paintings of everyday life at the Fenimore, living history and real animals at the Farm. This time was no exception.

When I saw the new-born lamb I thought immediately of the painting we have tucked away in storage, depicting a Cotswold ram at the Van Wagenen farm in Lawyersville, New York in the 1860s. It was painted by Thomas Kirby Van Zandt, and the note in our files indicate that the original owner thought it was a remarkable likeness of an animal known for its personality. Now we have another living example of an ongoing livestock tradition in upstate New York to give this artwork meaning and immediacy.


There's even another connection: Jared Van Wagenen, Jr., whose father owned the ram in the painting, wrote the classic book 'The Golden Age of Homespun" for us back in the 1950s. His descriptions of the era depicted in the painting, and recreated at The Farmers' Museum, have enthralled generations of readers. But even he would admit that you can't beat the real thing.

2 comments:

  1. I also follow a blog http://www.fiberfarm.com/
    The owner/shepherdess raises her sheep and goats only for their wool. None of her animals are ever eaten. I don't know about you, but I've stopped eating lamb, veal and almost all red meat after seeing lambs and kids born and sproinging around the pasture. They sell their wool by subscription to knitters.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ chuyên dịch vụ mua hàng trên Amazon ship về Việt Nam uy tín, dịch vụ mua hàng trên Ebay tại Việt Nam và dịch vụ vận chuyển gửi hàng đi Mỹ giá rẻ tại TPHCM, Hà Nội và toàn quốc.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin